Thursday, December 17, 2009

a trip to Florence and down memory lane


piazza della repubblica

a view of firenze from the boboli gardens

Justin and I in the Boboli Gardens

on the Ponte Vecchio

in front of the Duomo

Boboli Gardens

This was the spot where Justin proposed to me 3 1/2 years ago.

The restaurant where we had dinner before the proposal. Still one of my best meals to date!

San Lorenzo and the mercato in Florence.

You might be wondering why I am posting pictures and stories from Florence again. Last time I went, I went to meet Angela and I went without Justin. This time, we went together and revisited some of our favorite places in the city.
I have a great connection to Florence today. Florence is the reason that I am living this year in Italy now. In 2004, I spent the summer in Florence for a study abroad program at Central Michigan University. During that time, I fell in love with Italy and promised myself that I would return again someday for longer than just a summer. Well here I am. :) That summer meant a lot to me and still holds a lot of very fond memories.
Jump forward 2 years to May 2006. This time Justin and I were in Italy together, on our first big trip together after graduating from college. We spent a couple of days in London and Germany, but of course, we had to go to Italy, and more specifically, Florence. We spent a couple of days walking around the city, the markets, the gardens, and the churches. One night we decided to go out for a nice dinner and ended up at Perseus, a small restaurant filled with locals. We still remember this dinner as one of the best we have ever had. Even more special than the dinner though was after the dinner as we were walking back to our hostel. It was in the Piazza della Liberta that Justin proposed to me!
So, last weekend, when we went to Florence, we revisited all of these old spots that mean so much to us. It was a very nice trip down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment