Saturday, January 23, 2010

Scuola di Cucina, week 1

As I mentioned a few posts back, this week I started helping at a local cooking school. The past 5 nights I have helped out the teacher, Lella, with a different group of American students every night. Each night we have had around 25 students and we make 4 dishes. Since there is a different group each day, we have been repeating the same 4 dishes each day. I figured it was time to start sharing my experiences at the school, along with some of the recipes.

Before starting, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this experience. I didn't know if I would be in the class as a student, or as a helping hand to Lella. It turns out I am a little bit of both. Lella does not speak any English, and I was a little nervous to have to translate everything on my own. Luckily for me, there is another girl who comes every night to do most of the translating. I am mostly there to grab things for Lella, watch, and help the students a little. One night I was on my own to translate, and it actually went pretty well. I am a lot better at understanding Italian and translating from Italian to English than the other way around. This class is a great way for me to practice Italian and also learn some new things about Italian cusine.

These classes for the American students will go for a few more days, and then next week, on the 28th, a session of classes for Italian students will start. Lella has invited me to attend these classes as well, to help her, and learn more than these same 4 recipes. But, these 4 recipes are really great, and I have enjoyed making them and then eating them every night. My dinner every night this week has consisted of pappa col pomodoro, gnocchi al gorgonzola, pici all'aglione, and then tiramisu. :) So, stay tuned for recipes and photos! I will try to post one each night this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment