Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tartufi d'Alba!











Hi Friends! Here are some pictures of Alba and the truffle festival. Last weekend, Justin and I rented a car and drove to Alba, which is a small city in Piemonte, not too far from Torino, where the last winter olympics were held.
For those of you who don't know about truffles, they are these things in the pictures, they grow wild underground in certain parts of the world and are highly prized in the culinary world. Truffles cannot be cultivated and are very rare. They have a very distinctive smell and flavor. I don't really know how to describe it, because it is nothing like you have every tried. The closest thing that a truffle can be compared to is a mushroom, but I wouldn't really say it's a mushroom. It is hard for me to describe. A truffle is truffly, that's the best I can do. There are white truffles and black truffles, white being more expensive and rare. The best white truffles in the world come from Alba, and they hold a truffle festival every year to celebrate the truffle season. And of course, going to this was one of the things on the top of my list to do while living in Italy.
For me, coming to Italy has been an excuse to expand my food knowledge and experience real italian food. Going to the truffle festival was definitly a huge part of that experience for me. It was so cool. We got there are were walking down the city streets and there were vendors along the street selling their truffles. Everywhere we went you could smell truffle. Wow, that smell. I feel like I am rambling on a little about the truffles, but it was just indescribable and incredible.
I really enjoyed Alba, beside the truffles. It was fun for us to be able to drive around Italy on our own and explore. The people of Alba were very friendly. I think I would like to go back to Piemonte.
Next weekend, chocolate festival in Perugia? Maybe!

Ciao amici!

1 comment:

  1. I counted 16 uses of the word truffle in that post. But really can you overdo truffles? Any risk of the natural truffle stores every being overcultivated? That would be tragic - but an excuse to eat more truffles now.
    - Kimberly (your dad's running friend)

    ReplyDelete