Friday, November 6, 2009

Dysfunctional kitchen

While we have enjoyed living in Italy so far, there are a few things that have been quite frustrating over here. One of these things for me is our kitchen in our apartment. I posted some pictures of this kitchen a couple of weeks ago, so you can see what I am talking about. This kitchen is basically a closet. It has doors that you can use to close it up when you are done cooking. It is without an oven, has a refrigerator that you might find in a college dorm room, a leaky sink, and then there is the range. We have 4 gas burners. One doesn't work at all, one is too close to the wall, so when you turn it on, the wall starts burning. There is one that works perfectly fine. And then, there is the front right burner. This one has such a strong flame that when you use a certain saute pan on it, the flame pushes it right off. This happened to me just a couple of nights ago when I was trying to make a nice dinner for us. I had a sauce in this saute pan for my pasta that was cooking. I turned my back for a minute and I heard a crash, only to turn around and find my dinner on the floor. I was quite frustrated with this tiny little dysfunctional Italian kitchen. You would think that with all the great food that comes from this place it would be easier to cook!
This is just a little rant, sorry for going on about my kitchen. I will post more later about Florence and vising with Angela.

No comments:

Post a Comment